Friday, March 5, 2010

Thanks crunchy its Friday

Its my friend Sheila's birthday on Saturday and I thought I would get her some of her favourite things.
She is a bit of a foody and I know she loves home-made granola, so I whipped her up a batch of my yummy recipe. Its so easy to make with simple, healthy ingredients.  I haven't bought commercially-produced granola for years, why would I when they are full of hydrogenated oils and refined sugar, that  don't even taste that good.  See below for recipe.


I also bought her my favourite book of this year, The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.  Its an amazing story set in Nazi Germany in WWII, told through the eyes of Death. We see Death follow the life of a young girl,  Liesel Meminger who after the death of her brother goes to live with foster parents. I don't know why I liked this book so much, but its one that I couldn't wait to read each night and left me pretty emotional at the end.  


Have you read this book? What's your favourite book so far this year? I am always on the lookout for something new.


And finally of course a bunch of flowers, the tulips are in the flower markets already!! Does this mean that Spring is going to be early?


Granola Recipe:
6 cups whole rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds

1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup sunflower oil
2/3 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla



add to granola when cooled:
cranberries and toasted slivered almonds

Preheat oven 350.
Combine dry ingredients.
In a saucepan heat oil and honey at low until honey melts.  Add vanilla and pour this over dry stuff.  Toss to coat.
Spread mixture onto baking sheets and bake until golden, stirring every 20 min.   Takes about an hour.  Cool completely before storing.
Munch away!

1 comment:

  1. I make my own granola too, with an almost identical recipe. I use maple syrup instead of honey though because I've read that honey really shouldn't be heated. And I use butter instead of oil. Because I like butter. I refuse to give it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails