(image from keetsa.com)Coconut is definitely the 'in' food to try at the moment. For the longest time people avoided eating this fruit for fear of high saturated fat content - but now the coconut oil is considered to be 'The Healthiest Oil on Earth' so why is it now cool to eat it, here are a few facts I have uncovered;
- Coconut oil is high in saturated fats, but not all saturated fats are alike and coconut oil in fact has a unique structural make-up making a it vital ingredient for a healthy body.
- This oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiprotozoal properties and, like all whole foods, contains nutrients for a healthy body.
- cooking with coconut oil creates a more favorable HDL/LDL ratio
- It has a high percentage of lauric acid the most important essential fatty acid which is essential for boosting and maintaining the body's immune system.
- I can attest to this that it is great for the skin, use as a moisturizer on face and hair, also being shown as a benefit to anti-aging.
- is great for the digestive system
- strange but true benefits of coconut water; is an isotonic solution which replaces lost fluids and minerals, can reduce urinary problems, can be used in blood transfusion and it is antibacterial. Read more benefits here
- Apparently, Madonna loves coconut water investing $1.5 billion in the next trend to hit the streets.
- here is another great article on all the health benefits of coconuts.
I love the taste of coconuts and I often make this very simple lemon and coconut tart, the recipe is compliments of my son's school cookbook - see after jump for recipe.
Lemon Coconut Squares