Friday, February 5, 2010

Your kids will love ricotta cheese pancakes


I have a sick boy at home today, so needed to whip up some comfort food for him. I was talking to a fellow foody friend of mine, Ali, the other day about how delicious these pancakes are.

They make such a great change from the usual bland boring variety. These are made using wholewheat flour with only a small amount of sugar and of course the ricotta cheese. A nice mix of complex carbs and proteins for your wee ones.

Serve with berries and maple syrup, and just to show off, I will be using maple syrup made by my friend from her cottage north of Toronto. (thanks Paola!)

Here's how to make them:


Ali's recipe
The Ingredients:


3 tbsps wholewheat flour
1 tspn baking powder
2 tsps sugar (brown or white)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (you can use low-fat variety if desired)
2 eggs
vanilla to taste.

mix all ingredients together in this order and cook on medium heat.

My recipe (which is equally as yummy!)
The ingredients:
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk/buttermilk or thin yoghurt
1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder

with both recipes, its good to let the pancake mixture sit for 5 mins before you start cooking. These pancakes are a little wetter than a regular recipe, so cook thoroughly.  When you flip them, press the centre down to make sure insides get cooked through. Also try adding some blueberries to the mixture.

ENJOY !!

1 comment:

  1. These look great. I don't eat pancakes often, but next time I do, I need to remember this. I'm sure the ricotta makes them super moist. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails