Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And now for something completely different...




My friend Christine sent me this today and I thought it was worth posting.  Its interesting to see how footwear has evolved.  Can you imagine yourself wearing these in the gym, running or rock-climbing?  At $85 you would need to be certain!


This is their blurb from the website:
The typical human foot is an anatomical marvel of evolution with 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles, and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons and ligaments. Like the rest of the body, to keep our feet healthy, they need to be stimulated and exercised. 

That’s why we recommend wearing FiveFingers for exercise, play, and for fun. Stimulating the muscles in your feet and lower legs will not only make you stronger and healthier, it improves your balance, agility and proprioception.




And how about these for a spot of Asthanga?



(images courtesy of vibram five fingers)

4 comments:

  1. I know I was thinking the same thing, the sole is made of rubber so it would probably get slippy. I am not sure if I like them or not, but no doubt you will see me in a pair next year! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wear those a LOT. have a pair of black KSO's and let me tell you, they are the best shoes ever!

    Traditionally humans would do things barefoot or in shoes that were flat. For example weightlifting expecially deadlifts and dquats should be done without shoes on. Recent studies have also shown that running barefoot may be better for you as it places less stress on your heels and body.

    They may look goofy but they are comfortable to wear at the gym, while on a hike or running (i find running easier in them actually).

    And you don't get really sweaty in them. Depending on the pair that you get they are actually breathable and you can throw them in the washing machine if they get a little smelly (haven't had to do that yet though).

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that's great to know Lindsay. I have seen people training bare-foot doing weights and that makes total sense to me, as the training shoes can add such imbalance.

    Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if I am wearing a pair soon - I am sure people will get over the goofy look of them eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails